23 November 2009

Chaz Bono on Good Morning America

This is a really interesting video. Chaz Bono, as you may know, is the former Chastity Bono, daughter of Sonny and Cher. Chaz came out as a lesbian years back, but as with so many who are transgender, being a lesbian wasn't really the full story, but rather an answer that works at the time. He explains in this video the difference between sexuality and gender identity, and how they're really not related at all. We wish him the best in his journey.


As I've said before, I readily admit that there was a time, even as a gay man, that I didn't understand the concept of "transgender," and was a bit uncomfortable with the concept. But as I did my research and talked to a couple of transgender people, I realized quickly that my discomfort was simply my own ignorance, no better than the fundamentalist bigots who think they have a right to dictate how the government and society regards my life.

So this is really a video for everyone to watch.

StumbleUpon.com

1 comment:

  1. is it just me, or does chaz sorta look like a fat dean devries?

    http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs086.snc3/15346_676858583141_33022499_38379188_2507439_n.jpg
    white shirt. :)

    ReplyDelete