20 June 2009

A strange suggestion

I almost like Twitter now.  Jesse at Pandagon suggests that:


There’s a reason that we’re all so aware of what’s happening in Iran.  There are thousands of people sending out as many messages as they possibly can whenever they can using whatever means are available.  This means two things.  The first is that Twitter is now the most important thing that happened to democracy since the invention of the ballot, and the second is that if there is an urgent need for the President of the United States to weigh in with support for the protesters, they will find a way to let him know.


Huh!  I said the other day on MY Twitter (lookie, not anonymous anymore, but we'll stick with Break the Terror) that I was comforted by the fact that the most popular topic on Twitter was the Iran election (and still is, I think), rather than, I dunno, Taylor Montana's boobies or Adam Lambert's gayness or whatever the kids talk about these days.  But I missed the alternate angle, the more important side, because I really don't have much time for blogging or thinking these days:  because of Twitter, this phenomenally important story has been reported to the corners of the Earth, to people who wouldn't otherwise give a shit.  

So fine, dammit, Twitter can stay.

Read Jesse's whole post.

Then, if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, go to Twitter and search the tag #iranelection.  It's sort of slightly dying down a tiny bit, but it's been stunning the past week.

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment