21 June 2009

"Habanera"/"Carmen Fantaisie"

From Bernstein we go to Bizet.


I've been listening to orchestral renditions of various Bizet works today, and as usual, I keep coming back to Carmen.  Here's Angela Gheorgiou doing the "Habanera" from Carmen.




Below is the great Vladimir Horowitz playing the "Carmen Fantaisie" as only he can.  I play a two-piano setting similar to this...one of my favorite things in the world.  I just need someone to play it with.  Oh, and I need to get the music back.  

*cough*

One of my favorite things about Horowitz is the way he hit wrong notes constantly, yet he outplayed just about any of his contemporaries, because he PLAYED, man, he played.  There is a huge difference between hitting notes in sequence and letting the piano play you, I'll tell you that right now.


StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment